Carers across the country will be given better access to healthchecks, more support from the NHS and more opportunities to take time off thanks to a £16 million demonstration programme announced by the previous Care Services Minister.From October, twenty five demonstrator sites will test different ways of supporting people who care for friends or family. The sites will look at:
- helping carers take time off or go on holiday through a 'choose and book' website and a 'valuing our carers' discount scheme for travel, holidays, sports and leisure activities
- providing healthchecks, at locations that fit in with the carer's schedule;
- providing paid replacement care so carers are able to take breaks;
- teaching carers stress management techniques, giving advice on healthy eating and smoking cessation to carers in their own homes; and
- supporting carers more effectively through the NHS, for example, by ensuring that the NHS considers carers' needs when booking and holding GP and hospital appointments and involving carers when making hospital discharge arrangements.