This Department of Health consultation seeks views on the draft guidance to health and social care services using the website link brlow.. The guidance has been drafted to support the implementation of the Autism Strategy 'Fulfilling and rewarding lives'.
The guidance focuses on the seven areas required by the Autism Act 2009, in each case identifying what health and social services bodies are already expected to do, and then setting out any additional requirements introduced by the strategy. Throughout the guidance, as in the strategy, the Department of Health will use the term "autism" as an umbrella term for all autistic spectrum conditions, including Asperger Syndrome. The additional requirements are focused on achieving two key outcomes:
- improving the way health and social care services identify the needs of adults with autism, and
- ensuring identified needs are met more effectively to improve the health and well-being of adults with autism.
The Department of Health wants to hear from
- adults with autism, their families and carers
- health and social care bodies responsible for the planning, commissioning and provision of services for adults with autism and their families
- representative local and national organisations
- health and social care professionals, and
- any other party with an interest in improving the health and social care provided to adults with autism and their families and carers
The consultation will run from 29 July 2010 to 22 October 2010